Alaska Probation Attorney

Probation gives you freedom to live your life outside of jail. 

You can, however, be forced to serve the original sentence if you violate the conditions of your probation.  You need an experienced team on your side to assist you at your probation violation hearing.

What Should You Do If You Are Accused of Violating Probation In Alaska?

The first step is to call Carlson Law Group, LLC.  Next, we must determine specifically what term of your probation you allegedly violated.  In Alaska, your probation can be taken away for many reasons:

  • New criminal charges
  • Failed urine test (alcohol or drug use)
  • Failure to complete alcohol counseling, anger management, sex offender treatment, or other mandated programs
  • Failure to pay fines and court costs
  • Failure to check in with your probation officer
  • Failure to complete community service

The best way to protect your freedom is a proactive and experienced response.

Our team will represent you in your immediate appearance before a magistrate, and again at a probation violation hearing on whether to revoke or continue your probation.  Demonstrating to the court that you take your probation seriously is the best way to convince the judge that you can be trusted to follow your probation conditions.  This can be accomplished by paying fines, taking classes, and providing a clean urine sample.

If you are being accused of a new crime, the judge can take you off of probation and impose jail time on the previous charge.  The judge does not have to determine whether your are guilty of the new offense to impose jail time.  Rather, the judge simply has to determine if the evidence shows that you probably committed the new offense.

What legal situation can we help you resolve?

Other Criminal Defense areas we specialize in

Criminal Appeals

Being found guilty of a crime can cause you to believe that all hope is lost, your record is permanently stained, and that you are in fact a criminal.  In Alaska, most people found guilty of a crime have the ability to appeal the verdict.

Drug and Alcohol Crimes

The relationship between drugs, alcohol, and crime is complex. Most directly, it is a crime to buy, use, possess, manufacture, or distribute illegal drugs. Drugs and alcohol also impact crime indirectly via the effects they have on users’ behavior and by their association with violence and other illegal activity.

Drunk Driving (DUI)

A Driving Under the Influence, or Operating Under the Influence, charge (“DUI”) is serious business that can change your life. Police, prosecutors, and the courts treat DUI charges very seriously. A DUI charge can easily turn into a conviction without proper legal representation.

Post-Conviction Relief (PCR)

Once your appellate rights are exhausted, there is yet another way to challenge your conviction. The next step is post-conviction relief or PCR where you may raise new claims that were not available to you on direct appeal. Requiring experience on both sides — as both prosecutor and criminal defense attorney in Alaska.

Property Crimes

Some of the “minor” property crimes may not carry severe penalties in court but have lasting effects on your record. Not many employers would be interested in hiring individuals with any type of property offense on their record. These cases must be defended aggressively as possible, and our team is here to help.

Sex Crime

Being charged with a sex crime is terrifying. The confusion, anxiety, and social stigma can be a difficult burden to carry alone. What started as a nice evening and ended in what you thought was consensual sex, could turn into a lengthy jail sentence and lifelong sex offender registration. Our team is here to help.

Weapons Offenses

In Alaska, weapons charges include unlawful possession, unlawful carrying of a concealed weapon, unlawful discharge of a firearm, illegal sale or trafficking, or misconduct involving weapons. Alaska punishes these offenses harshly, which can damage your reputation and negatively affect your Constitutional rights. 

Do you need professional legal assistance?